CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Do Fish Dream ?

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Please - Act Your Age Not Your Shoe Size !


Although my biological age is 43, I frequently forget 'cos in my head I'm still that funky 25year old from yesteryear (WTF ??? Who says yesteryear other than old people ??) Anyway, I get lots of frights when I see myself in the reflections of shop windows because I think, who's that ? Yikes, it's me !! So, as a result, there are those times when I'm out shopping or getting dressed to go out and I have to give pause and consider..."Am I too old to wear this top/those boots/these jeans/that groovy necklace ?" You see kids, I have a seriously morbid fear of being thought of as "Mutton-Dressed-as-Lamb" (or MDAL). Now, for those of you who are unfamiliar with this term, the MDAL phenomenon rears its seriously ugly head an older woman tries to get away dressing like she’s in her twenties - or scarily, even younger :)

Fortunately, I have a 15year old son who helps to keep me honest in this regard. No question, Zach likes his mum to look cool, but if I step over the MDAL line in the sand, he let's me know. For example, a couple of weeks ago, I was going to watch him play cricket and was dressed in jeans, boots and a Green Day t-shirt. He looked at me and said, are you going dressed like that ? I said, ummm yes. He said, the jeans look good, but I'm not so sure about the t-shirt mum, no offence..... (even though I was the one who took him to the freakin' Green Day concert :) But, no offence taken, offending t-shirt off, another found that passes the test, and we are out the door. Zach often tells me that I look good and he likes it when his friends tell him he has a groovy mum, and so when he suggests in his tactful, sensitive, diplomatic way that perhaps I've started to MDAL up a storm - I take note and take immediate action.

Perhaps I should hire him out to give advice to those MDAL victims in Sydney ?? 'Cos, over the weekend I was out shopping and a middle-aged woman walked passed me wearing uber-trendy denim jeans, stiletto heels, a breast-hugging, bling-encrusted t-shirt with the word "Princess" emblazoned in rhinestones, and hoop earrings that were large enough to shoot basketballs through. Now, I need to clarify that this woman would have easily been in her late 40s, a time in one's live when you could be viewed as a classy dame, but seriously this woman looked like a pro (and I don't mean as in athlete :) During the evening, I spied yet another similarly-aged woman who was wearing a short pleather (not even real leather - double ugh) skirt and a flimsy top that was barely containing her obviously fake, rock-hard bowling-ball tits. Her hair was so chemically damaged it looked like a haystack and her skin was so tanned by the sun that it looked like the leather from my grandfather's wallet. Although both these women were quite attractive, that's absolutely no excuse for them wearing things that could be found in the Myer Miss Shop clearance rack, Valley Girl or Supre. Girls, PLEASE don’t do this to yourself. It just makes you look so sad and pathetic that you’re holding on to something you had a long time ago. Hey, I can understand a girl's need to remain cool and hip as the years go by, but that doesn't mean you have to look desperate !

Older women can still look hot and sophisticated by wearing clothes that suits her age. There is nothing sexier than a woman who knows how to dress appropriately. Lastly, welcome your more "mature years" with open arms. Some of the classiest people still look sharp despite their age. Learn to work with what you have and don't try to hold on to your youth by dressing like a cast member for the next instalment of "High School Musical."

10 comments:

Jill said...

Loved this post! I too have a fear of dressing correctly. At 29, I'm worried about the twin set looking too oldish and the plunging v neck looking to youngish. Grrs!

I hope when I'm 43 with kids I'll be the groovy mom like you! :)

Poodles said...

I can't talk, I still have the blue streak in my hair. Oh and 37...thank you very much!

Bettie K. said...

Yeah...I can't comment on hair seeing that mine changes every 4 months. However...I succumbed to low rise jeans 2 years back...can I get a collective "stupid"? Okay---I have hips; I have had 2 children yet I still was hoisting these pants up every time I stood up. And that was with a belt.

Then it occurred to me that no one wants to see my ass crack---whether I have a whale tail or boy short on.

Then I fell victim to the baby doll shirts of last summer. Sure...my girls looked great but the rest of me looked 6 months pregnant.

I want preppy clothes back; I want to rock out in some argyle; put my collar up and throw a sweater around my shoulders. HOT!!!

Indigo-Daisy said...

Loved the post! I have a 15 year old son as well that also keeps me in check. I am all for comfort, if it feels good I will wear it.

Anonymous said...

LOL! I, too, am more than familiar with the MDAL malady. My issue is not so much age as weight. I occasionally catch a glimpse in a shop window and go "Who is that fat chick? Fuck it! It's me!" Definitely not good.

Unknown said...

oh i loved this tm! it's a pet hate of mine too, i hate that i almost cringe for MDAL victims as they sashee down the street... at least my boys would keep me from embarrassing myself too! God knows there have to be some benefits to having a teenage son..lol!!! not that i'd give mine back, they are just aging me this week!

Watergurl said...

I have seen women wear and carry it off, until you see their face.....woah Nanny. Baby Jane hammer time.
I do wear mutton shoes from time to time, its the B&D in me, leaks out and can't be controlled.

Baal's Bum said...

As a biker myself I think biker or in your case I believe its bikee ladies have the luxury that jeans and a leather jacket are timeless and ageless. I find the mutton syndrome only occurs in more trendy or mainstream cultures.

pita-woman said...

Can I get a big AMEN!?

VAMP said...

At 48, I'm sooo tired of wearing t-shirts and jeans, but find them to be the most comfortable, except for going out. My almost 13 year old tells me what looks ok or not.