CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Do Fish Dream ?

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The First Day


I've recently started a new job - same company, different site, completely different focus. And, frankly, I'm amazed that anyone ever starts a job at all when you consider the horror of The First Day - those inexplicably cruel first 8 hours of a new job. The federal government would do well to scratch beneath the surface of unemployment and find that all those 'lazy good-for-nothings' are actually highly motivated, educated people rendered foetal by the prospect of The First Day at a new workplace.

The First Day collects every awkward and unpleasant emotion that one is capable of experiencing without wetting themselves, wraps them in a half-price suit, and presents the finished ensemble to a band of strange faces whose collective expression says plainly, "We were hoping for the pretty chick who was interviewed on Wednesday or the funny guy who we saw on Friday".

The First Day leaves for dead the discomfort of one's first day of school because certain types of behaviour have become socially unacceptable between the two events. It's no longer cool to cry uncontrollably, to run back to the car or to bury oneself under pillows in the reading corner. There's no kind hearted teacher around (don't be taken in by the welcoming grin of the HR manager) to blow your nose or to sit beside you when no-one wants to have lunch with you.

And adults can be even more cruel than school kids. Once they've formed their little cliques within an office, you can circle around the periphery until your pen spontaneously combusts - no one gives a fuck.

Why don't they care ? Because they're First Day graduates ! They've done the deed, felt the fear, scorched the demons and moved up in the line. They're not New Guy anymore, because YOU are. Now it's your sorry turn to find the toilet all by yourself.

Sure, you could always ask someone for a little early guidance and direction, but there lies a dangerous path. What if you asked The Wrong Person ? For the uninitiated, The Wrong Person within a workplace is the one who will unwittingly tar you with the brush of uncoolness. This person is broadly disliked and avoided, and usually with some justification. They may be a work-shirker, a buck-passer, an arse-kisser, or maybe they simply smell. Whatever the case, they're bad news and will drag you to the bottom of the heap faster than you can say internal transfer.

There is, of course, a beautifully mediocre solution to avoiding The First Day, and that is to skip it entirely by calling in sick and rocking up on the second day. no-one would accuse you of pulling a sickie so early in the piece; in fact, they'll probably feel compassion that you should have experienced such a shaky start to your new career (memo to self - next time I develop a DVT, make sure it coincides with The First Day). They may even take you under their wings and invite you to weekend barbecues. Many months later, you can humorously reveal over a number of drinks how you deliberately avoided The First Day and went to the movies instead. The Office Legend is born !!

13 comments:

Whispering Walls said...

hope it improves

Bettie K. said...

That's why you bring donuts the first day....:)

Now it's not too late to get in the cool clique...just start bringing in food. It is guaranteed to work. Just don't mention that you have animals because people will then be convinced that there is pet hair in the brownies....:)

Jill said...

On the first day, you should always somehow slip in conversation your time in the slammer. Then no one will ever f*ck with ya. *snort*

A while back, on my first day at a new job my unknowing boyfriend (not J) sent me flowers. I was HORRIFIED.

Hope it gets better hon.

pita-woman said...

WOW! I do believe you've put to print all the very reasons I avoid going out and looking for a new job. Simply because I hate starting over. Whenever I've taken on 2nd jobs in the past, I typically go to stores that are just opening so that we're all new to that place and will learn together. I was fortunate (if it's possible to be fortunate in getting fired) when I was fired from my last job... excuse me, in their words they "downsized", but let's face it, I was fired. Anyway, I worked at a cemetery & was fired, upon leaving, I called a couple of the funeral homes I frequently dealt with, just to say "good-bye & don't call me at home anymore". Fate intervened as one of those home's secretary had just quit, so I started there immediately. While yes, it was a new job, I was surrounded by people I'd been dealing with for 10 years & I was comfortable with them, so it wasn't too horrid. Now I wish I could get away from them. Hmm, that former secretary was on to something...

Sean Wright said...

I found this a witty and entertaining post. My first day worries were overcome by the fact that I followed have the workforce to my new job. We moved an entire clique :)

Indigo-Daisy said...

It has been almost 3 years now since my first day at my current job. I remember it well. The entire day I was envisioning what it was going to be like after I had been their for about a month. It turned out to be a good move for me as I love what I do.
~Deborah

Anonymous said...

Take some brownies tomorrow laced with arsenic.

You'll move up the ladder in no time!

Unknown said...

lol at random's comment...time in the slammer...i love it! i hate that first day anxiety...great post TM xo

VAMP said...

I'm happy staying at home (somewhat), since hubby got a FAT raise, but I'm always looking for the "perfect" part time job. You know, the one where I'll be home with my kids after school.

Awhile back I worked at a place PT that went to corporations and watered the plants. I loved that job...the worse thing that could happen was you killed a plant. But gawd forbid you spilled water on someone's desk...AHHHH!

I broke my foot (not on the job) and that was the end of that (three surgeries later), I wish I could go back, but I would have to haul a large water tank that looks like a bomb, in and out of my SUV again.

I just recently saw a job in a local paper, and I always look up the phone number on "google" to get a bead on what the company does. I'm glad I do this, because I almost applied for a PT clerk job at an XXX book store. Anyway, the job I saw turned out to be a scam. When I looked up the phone number, it gave a "Rip Off Report"....wow.

Great Post, first day jitters are the WORST.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking for the perfect part time job too, you know, the one which gives me enough money to keep me in smokes and beer, so I can sit home, watch jerry Springer and get fat.

Here's a meme for you dear:

Here are the rules:
1. Pick up the nearest book with more than 123 pages.
2. Go to page 123 in the book.
3. Find the first 5 sentences.
4. Post the NEXT 3 sentences.
5. Tag 5 people.

Tex's Missus said...

WW: thank you for your kind thoughts:)

Sarah: Jeez Sarah, you know I can't cook - would bought cakes and biccies work the same (no pet hair, but don't get me started on what other "inclusions" I've found in purchased products) ??

Random: Yikes, flowers on Day 1 would have been a hard one to live down - WTF was he thinking ??

PW: Yep, there is safety in numbers and not being the only new kid on the block :)

Sean: Thanks Sean :)

Indigo: How nice to hear a happy new job experience - may I survive to tell the same tale one day !

PP: Hmmm, arsenic eh ? There's my one way ticket up the ladder and into the slammer (then I'd have a real life jailbird story to tell !)

Kyles: Thanks for stopping by Kyles ... I'm keeping the slammer angle up my sleeve - and I'll not be afraid to bring it out if they don't start playing nice with me in the sandpit !!

Vamp: Ouch - hope your foot is okay now - yes, it would be nice to be able to be home before and after school with the kids - hope you find your dream job.

Tex: thanks babe (no really !!) I'll get right onto it !

AMLite said...

First of all, how do you get your links to "twinkle" like that? That is hot.

I'm about ready to have my "first day" after being in the same company (with 3 different names) for the past 9 years so I read your excellent blog not without a modicum of dismay!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that cheery little post: I'm starting a new job tomorrow!! Same organisation, same position, different office. Three times the size of my last office. No knowledge of who my manager will be or where I'm going to park. No idea of who else will be on my team...I'm sure I'll sleep well tonight!! :)