CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Do Fish Dream ?

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Finally ... Freedom from the Myth of Superwoman


Or... Why the Have-it-All Woman has decided she doesn't actually want it all.....


Yes, I admit it; I was one of those women a few years ago who bought into this myth; no, more than that, I swallowed it hook, line and sinker. Yes, the strong, feminist women who went before me told me I could have it all - naturally then I thought I could have a high paying, high profile, high stress job and seamlessly and concurrently combine it with studying for two Masters Degrees, raising a son as a single parent, ensuring that I had the house as neat as the home in pages of Home Beautiful, that my son had fresh vegies and fruit and a wholesome cooked meal every night, that I got to the gym four nights a week, to the netball court once a week and to the P&C meetings at my son's school on a regular basis. Funnily enough, my health suffered as did my relationships with family and friends....I wasn't happy with myself and I wasn't a fun person to be around.

Now, I love curling up with a good CSI-type thriller, but I used to get an enormous attack of the guilts if I read one of these novels or a trashy gossip mag instead of a text book. Yep folks, for a while there, this girl next door got a little too carried away with trying to emulate the picture-perfect lives of the Modern Day Superwomen I used to read about.

Oh, sure....it's oh-so-fucking easy to have four kids and a stellar career, while looking immaculate, saving the world and maintaining a steamy love life with a fellow high achiever - when you've got millions of dollars and an army of assistants, nannies, chefs and personal trainers at your disposal (not naming any names.....Brangelina !)

Who was I kidding trying to do all that ? And, more importantly, why would I want to when spending hours hanging out and riding my motorbike with my husband or laughing with my son while wearing trackie daks and a holey t-shirt is infinitely more rewarding ?

So, I'm on a quest ..... a quest to give up the guilt; trying to do everything perfectly just leads to frustration and sets myself up for failure and misery. So, in 2008 I pledge to learn the lost art of delegation and saying no and to stopping doing things out of obligation. Will the world end if I buy rather than bake a cake for my son's school fete ? Does the bookcase really need dusting this very second, or would 30mins spend relaxing with one of the books be more helpful ?

Rather than running around like a headless chook, I'm going to start to take a good hard look at what truly needs to be done today.....then I'm going to do those things the best way I can - but I won't panic if the results are not 100% - and I am going to make time for myself. If I'm happy, then Tex and Zach and others around me will be happy, too.

6 comments:

Watergurl said...

That first paragraph tired me the hell out.....
Sit down before I buy a tranquiliser gun. Me and you both, same week, same shit.
Weekend has been better...I was lining up a higher building...

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

mmm there is no 'have it all' Missus... as the 'all' we were chasing was someone elses reality, material things, The all I would chase was 'time'...

when Antonio died, I realised I had little else, My all would be to watch Josef surf, I'd give him days off school and just be with him..Josef didnt need money, cut lunches,education..we just needed each other...i learned from that...

Bell doesnt have me full time, but she has all i have. Children wont remember that the bills were paid, their lunches packed...they will remember how tired and cross we were and we will blink and they will be adults with lives of their own...

Delegate, delegate, delegate..march to your own drum Missus...stretch out and enjoy the music the candles..let the dishes rot, they will still be there...

You have reminded me to do an inner glow check, I was getting a little hectic myself...ta love

Bettie K. said...

Now I know why I never finished my Masters Degree; I was reading too many gossip rags.

I couldn't agree more with your post.

Anonymous said...

Hear, hear! I couldn't agree more. If you don't look after yourself, everything around you literally goes to shit. Mind you, I'm exhausted just reading what you were up to during your superwoman phase.

Unknown said...

I have the 'advantage' of being single with no kids so I can certainly be more selfish with my choice of activities than many of my friends. Ok, so there are disdvanatges to the life too but you get that.

A few years ago I was sitting on a friend's porch and I realised I was joyous - not happy becuase I had won lotto or whatver, but I was truly happy on the inside. I honestly felt I was glowing. I am not sure I had ever felt that way.

It is to that feeling I try and aim each day - to have an inner peace and satisfaction no matter the turmoil that goes on around me.

Okay so I will never be rich, or even own my own house and my career has taken a decidedly different turn. I don't wear my many suits anymore but this is where I am at and where I want to be.

In many ways I stopped living for what might be (or should be) and started living for now, and what is possible.

I sing (badly) and I dance and I paint and I play. Okay I might be by myself while I do any of this but it's all okay. I feel happier than I used to be, and I think I am a better person because of it.

evolveintobirds said...

I'm so glad you came over and commented on my blog...I hadn't ever seen yours. We share many interests! I never tried to be Supermom...I only did the Stepford Wife thang. It was SO liberating to leave it behind!!