CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Do Fish Dream ?

Monday, January 28, 2008

What's Your Favourite Holiday Memory ?


Tex and I have had some truly memorable holidays over the past few years, having been fortunate enough to travel variously to France, mainland USA, India, Hawaii, South Africa, Indonesia and Fiji but none has been more enjoyable - or demanding - as our 2007 trip to South America where, amongst other things, we trekked the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. We do a lot of bushwalking in the Blue Mountains around our home, but this trek was incredibly taxing, not only because it was undertaken at high altitude, but the track was rocky and uneven and consistently steep :) But, the view at sunrise after three really difficult days trekking was a sight that will take some matching:





We have a sponsor child (named Junior) in Cusco, Peru so took the opportunity to visit him and his family during this trip as well. A highlight of this part of the trip was surprising Junior and his classmates at his school.



At this stage, Junior goes to school in the local village, but next year when he starts high school, he will have to walk two hours there and two hours back - then he'll have to help his dad on their farm when he gets home in the afternoon.



Watching talented Peruvian women dye, spin and weave alpaca wool into amazing, brightly coloured garmants, in a small village outside Cusco, was another highlight :)



Our trip was completed with a few days charging down the Amazon River, and staying in an eco-hut in the middle of the rainforest, with monkeys, macaws, cayman and tarantulas screeching, creeping and crawling all around us ! There was no electricity and lots of scary moments for this arachnophobic - but we did manage to catch a pirahna (even though it was only a few inches long - check out the teeth though :)



We are currently planning our holiday to Ireland in May this year, so that may eventually top my list. But for now, our adventures in Peru have given me my favourite holiday memories :)

9 comments:

Watergurl said...

Awww, Macchu Picchu is one of my top 5 places to visit before I kark it. I'm shocked that so many people have been there before me. I don't know if I can trek for three days....do they have helicoptors that land right in the middle of the site yet? kidding....
Thanks for the pics...I wanna go NOW.

Tex's Missus said...

Thanks h2 - I've actually been to NZ a couple of times as well, and have to say that the landscapes and scenery there, especially in the south island, is fit to rival anything I've seen anywhere in the world. You really do live in a truly beautiful country Watergurl :) (but I guess you know that already !)

Sean Wright said...

Picchu Smicchu the big banana was my highlight - just kidding. I am extremely envious now you realise. Our tasmanian holiday was probably the best holiday so far, some of the oldest buildings in Australia, Port Arthur, being sea sick on the way over, staring out into the darkness of bass srait.

pita-woman said...

I envy your ability to travel. They sound like some awesome vacations.

Bettie K. said...

Those pictures are fantastic Missus. Ireland will just be different on many levels. And I swear...there really are 40 shades of green over there.

Anonymous said...

I have never been to Ireland but would love to go one day. I hear it is a beautiful place!

Jill said...

You are one amazing woman! Sponsoring a child and then visiting him? That's so awesome.

My vacations cannot compare. So far my favorite vacation memory is zoning out with my J on the beach, sitting side by side on beach chairs holding hands not saying a word for hours. Those waves were hypnotic but it was obvious we really needed that vacation.

Hopefully one day I'll be able to take fabulous vacas like yours!

tina FCD said...

Ireland would be awesome!

Unknown said...

Well that blows any story I can come up with out of the water! I have really only had one holiday since I was a child - and that was with a bestie on the Sunshine Coast. Impossible to name a favorite part of the vacation because we both have the most ridiculous fun over nothing whenever we are together. Dinner at the Mexican restaurant would have provided the most laughs though...