CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Do Fish Dream ?

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Celebrating Mediocrity in a World that Tries Too Bloody Hard !


Okay, I'm at day 7 of a new job - same organisation though and I've decided that I am not even going to try and compete with my peers - No, I am going to pursue a life more ordinary :-) Embrace mediocrity and celebrate my inner-"whatver dude".

These little gems form part of my new philosophy and will help those of you out there who would like to follow me and take your first mediocre steps towards a blissfully more ordinary life (in fact, why don't you group e-mail this list to ten people you couldn't be bothered contacting personally ?)

Work: Karma does not exist in the workplace. If you give a talentless, manipulative, grossly unfair boss enough rope, he'll simply hang more people.

Delegate: Remember, a job worth doing is worth contracting out.

Good Health: Given that most serious health crises happen to people when they least expect them, it's good practice to imagine the worst. So yes, it's probably a tumour.

Achievement: If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try .... something else. Or don't. Whatever.

Jetsetting: Don't be conned by airline advertising (the likes of which QANTAS employ) that boasts a crash-free safety record. It just means they're due.

Parenting: It's best to view parenting like a sort of long-term lay-by plan that takes so long to pay of, you forget why you wanted it in the first place. Having said that, there is nothing in life more rewarding and satisfying as a child's unconditional love. It's just such a shame it doesn't last beyond the move to solids.

Hard Work: Make hay while the supervisor is watching.

Exercise: Everyone knows that a healthy body equals a healthy mind, and vice-versa. Watch as many yoga and exercise videos as you can. Personally, I like to put them on while I am ironing.

Love: Pick someone. Make it work. End of story.

Challenge: As Nike says - just do it. Unless of course you don't really want to.

Enlightenment: Buy every self-help book available. Pile them on top of each other and place a nice piece of polished Tasmanian Oak on the top. Wa-lah ! Coffee table.


"Only mediocrity can be trusted to be always at its best"

(Sir Max Beerbohm (1872-1956)

6 comments:

Watergurl said...

Seriously, did you make that shit up yourself?
I think you need a writing job, throw your current job in and get with your own karma.
Loved it.

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

" Mediocrities everywhere... I absolve you... I absolve you... I absolve you... I absolve you... I absolve you all." (Salieri)

Always amazes me Missus that the things of life like Karma etc don't work at my workplace...I just walk around muttering affirmations in my head, or I'm found meditating under Miss K's desk..much to my dear Boss's bafflement

Bettie K. said...

Missus this an awesome post---if you made these up you need to really publish them. I have tried my own approach to Enlightenment; buy the self-help books, and take them into the crapper.

I couldn't agree more; there is nothing wrong with "ordinary". I think I shall start tomorrow!

AMLite said...

Excellent and funny post!

Strikes a chord in my current work environment. Due to be purchased by private equity things have gotten much more cut throat and political than normal (layoffs, cost cutting, weekend meetings, more travel, etc...).

And yet, we spent 2 hours in our staff meeting for the Americas figuring out ways to increase the "Employee Engagement Survey" scores for this year! Priceless.

Anonymous said...

I like your attitude!!!!

I decided to be me a long time ago.If people don't like it then oh well.Screw 'em!

I kiss no ones ass to get ahead.

Gosh,that sounded so bitchy didn't it?

Unknown said...

i'm with watergurl and sarah here, you need to publish this TM, totally loved it, freaking hilarious..now get out from under my desk abbey or at least that that overflowing garbage out while you are down there...lol