CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Do Fish Dream ?

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Daring to be Myself


Today I will dare to be myself. I may be tempted to put a smile on my face even though I am angry, just in order to please another person. When turning down an invitation, I may want to make excuses so that nobody will get hurt feelings. I may be inclined to cancel plans that I care about, without protest, because a loved one prefers to stay at home and I don't want to make waves. I may give the best chop to my son and keep the burned one for myself. These may be perfectly acceptable choices, and I may opt for any or all of them.

But today I will be honest with myself as I do so - I will not pretend to feel what I do not feel or to want what I do not want. I have a right to want what I want and to feel the way I feel. I may not choose to act on those feelings or desires, but I won't hide them from myself. They are part of me.

"This above all: to thine own self be true".
William Shakespeare

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nah, I'll have the best chop, and when you do the dishes can you dry them and put them away too.

I like it best if the coffee mugs go on the left in the cupboard and the tea cups on the right thanks.

Sean Wright said...

You are an evil man:)

Sean Wright said...

Tex's Missus,

I like your decision, got to be honest with ourselves and selfish some times.

Oh and by the way maybe you should show Tex that video I was talking about, before he has dinner :)

Bettie K. said...

I completely get this post. This is why women are superior to men...we don't flinch at eating something burnt or putting someone's needs before our own. It is innate.

What is not innate for a lot of us is the ability to be honest. And I am stumped why it is so easy for men, and so difficult for women.

Anonymous said...

I think you misspelt it Sarah. It is INANE to put others' needs before your own.

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Ok, beautiful woman, it is now Sunday...how did you go being true to your self? ... oh and have we got an inner glow going down there in the mountains...x

Watergurl said...

I say 'unleash the beast':) LOL Take no prisoners, show no mercy. Just make sure you have a firm grip on that rope when the beast starts bucking. Burn the chops on purpose, serve them up, then sit down to your medium rare steak hehehe. BTW I have had surgery, I was just too late to post to that post. No regrets :)

gemmak said...

I'm weith Sarah...we do this stuff as a matter of course, not to do it occasionally or at least to aknowledge it can only be good for us :o)

pita-woman said...

Ah, what a novel idea, being honest, speaking our minds regardless of the consequences, & doing what we damned well please.
Actually, I'm known in my close circle of friends as being that very type of person... if only they knew the truth! If only they knew how often I "give in" or change my plans to suit their needs, or bit my tongue to keep from offending them or to keep from making wave. Ah, but on the occasions I do say what I'm feeling, I am their hero.