CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Do Fish Dream ?

Monday, December 31, 2007

What's The Best Piece of Advice You've Ever Been Given ?

When I was around 10 years of age and just beginning to develop an awareness that some people judge others on their appearance, my dear old Nan said to me:

"Just put a big smile on your face my girl. Then people will not see your worn coat, your darned socks or your scuffed shoes. They will just see the beautiful girl underneath"


She must have told me this a dozen times or more when I was young. Now, 33 years later, I no longer have to wear second hand clothes or shoes, but I still worry too damn much about what other people think of me. I wish I'd listened - and believed - when my Nan spoke those words.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Never trust a woman. First they trick ya, then they deceive ya, then they try and change ya."
Gordy.

He is my best mate's father, and yes, slightly cynical about the fairer sex.

Luckily these generalisations don't apply to all, and I have found one who I can trust. I like to keep this one, because the offensiveness of it is funny to me.

tina FCD said...

You can trust a thief before you can a liar. You know what a thief will do, not a liar.
My Mom.

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Handsome is as handsome does...my gran...would of saved alot of heartache if I had of listened..lol

Bettie K. said...

Less is more....

I wish I had started applying that to all life situations earlier---mom's do know best.

Your blog looks awesome Missus!

Tex's Missus said...

Great advice girls; I wonder if any of our kids (or grandkids) will be recalling advice we gave to them ? I'd like to think so...

and thanks Sarah, yep, me and Tex had a wild old time last night - while the rest of the world partied, we sat at home and played with blog templates !

VAMP said...

Don't sleep with the men at work and don't sleep with the men in your apt complex. (mum to me when I was in my 20's)

That's all I can think of at the moment. Other than don't run with scissors or eat an apple a day and keep the doc away bullshit. But it *WAS* good advice. I was single for a lot of YEARS, because I liked it that way - independent.

You and I have similar issues with being judged. I've always felt like damaged goods and that everyone could see the pain I've carried for years due to the way I grew up.

Sean Wright said...

Can't think of anything that stands out other than my old Tae Kwon Do Instructor saying that, never turn down training if work offers to pay for it.

Poodles said...

Sometime's it's better to ask forgivness than permission. That one and my grandmother always says that people treat you the way you let them.

S said...

My grandfather told us kids, "Don't exist; live." I try to follow it. We'll see how successful I am at applying it as this crazy thing I call my life.

Side note, I agree with your blogging philosophy. Glad you've enjoyed what you've seen.

SouthLoopScot said...

Don't give out unsolicited advice.