CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Do Fish Dream ?

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Solariums: Fashion to Die For

As a former devotee of sun tanning - when I was younger by lying for hours on end in the hot sun, sizzling under a layer of greasy sun tan oil, and in my 30s a huge fan of the solarium for acheiving an all-over, year-long, bronzed tan - these days, I find myself scanning my body on a regular basis for spots, marks, freckles or moles that change in shape, texture or size - warning signs that I may have a skin cancer.

The statistics are frightening. Over 1300 Australians die every year from skin cancer. 1 in 2 Australians will be diagnosed with skin cancer in their lifetime. Deliberately exposing your skin to UV radiation, by using a solarium, will increase your risk of skin cancer.

The The Cancer Council campaign, "Solariums: Fashion to Die For" was launched to make people aware of the dangers of contracting skin cancer from solariums. The campaign is aimed at fashion conscious young women who feel pressured into having a tan. The message is simple – using a solarium for even a small amount of time can increase your chances of developing skin cancer. Solariums emit ultraviolet rays up to five times stronger than the midday summer sun.

Ultraviolet radiation such as from a solarium causes premature ageing of the skin. This may be evident as increased skin wrinkling, irregular pigmentation and altered skin texture, photo aging and a loss of skin elasticity. All this damage is generally irreversible without cosmetic surgery.

Apparantly:

1. Solariums may emit much higher concentrations of ultraviolet (UV) radiation than the sun; in fact, up to five times as strong as the midday summer sun.

2. Solariums emit UVA and UVB radiation, both known causes of skin cancer. In general, solariums predominantly emit UVA, however in recent years, solariums have been manufactured to produce higher levels of UVB to mimic the solar spectrum and higher levels of UV radiation intensity to speed up the tanning process.

Associate Professor John Kelly from the Cancer Council dispels the solarium myths:

1. Solarium tanning is safer than tanning in the sun. . . . . Not True

Solariums emit harmful levels of UV radiation up to five times as strong as the midday summer sun. This is the equivalent of the UV index being over 60. (The highest UV index level in NSW is 13.)

2. If I build up my tan, I’ll be protected from the sun. . . . . Not True

A tan offers limited protection and increases your risk of skin cancer and premature ageing.

3. A tan makes you healthy. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Not True

There is nothing healthy about skin cancer or damaged skin. Solariums are dangerous and threaten the lives of people that use them.

4. I need a solarium tan for a special occasion. . . . . . . . . Not True

A solarium emits a very powerful dose of UV radiation. If you must have a tan then use fake tanning products.

5. A solarium is a good way of getting my Vitamin D. . . . Not True

For any active Australian, you will receive enough Vitamin D while doing your normal day-to-day activities. Exposing your skin to extreme levels of UV radiation, through a solarium, is not safe. If you believe you may be Vitamin D deficient, speak to your doctor.

The simple fact is that the more your skin is exposed to UV radiation the greater your risk of skin cancer. I'd wished I'd known that 10 years ago, although honestly it probably would not have made much difference. Youth has a way of making us feel immortal.

So, come on girls - if you want the bronzed look (and I must confess I still have to get over the fact that I still think it looks better !), then let's fake it (and let's face it, I daresay we'll all had plenty of practice with faking it in our time) and get out the tubes/sprays/cans of fake tan. The new stuff is less orangey in colour and more pleasant smelling than the earlier types.

AND, if you are or have been at risk, keep checking for those suspect changes and if in doubt, get to your GP - your life may very well depend upon it.

5 comments:

Poodles said...

I am going to guess that a solarium is what we yanks refer to as a tanning bed.

I remember laying out as a teen covered in either baby oil or crisco.

Poodles said...

Tag You're it!

Tex's Missus said...

Oops, bloody hell - only just got to this Poodles and everybody's probably well over it by now - never mind, I';ll give it a go. Thanks for the tag !

tina FCD said...

Yup, I remember using baby oil! My daughter uses those tanning beds, yuck.

Tex's Missus said...

Hi Tina, Yep, my friends and I used baby oil or a concoction of olive oil mixed with vinegar ! Great on a salad, but not so good on your skin ... I dunno what we were thinking !