CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Do Fish Dream ?

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Here's to all the Brilliant, Gorgeous, Talented, Fabulous Women out there



I have always loved this excerpt from Nelson Mandela's 1994 inauguration speech, where he quoted Marianne Williamson (from her book 'A Return To Love').

I'm paraphrasing it below especially for my new friends out there in Blog Land - you know who you are - thank you for your strength and your inspiration.


"We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. When we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about the men? ohh, I feel left out.

Tex's Missus said...

It's okay Tex, you are brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous too (sheesh, boys can be sooo precious can't they !!)

Unknown said...

I haven't heard this quote before - it is incredibly empowering! Great choice :-)

Bettie K. said...

Tex brings up a good point though...men seem find their inner strength a lot easier than women do. I envy that in my own husband who really does let go the little things and sees things as they are and not what he wishes them to be...

This quote will be visited by me often. Thank you missus and Happy New Year!

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Absolutely beautiful...I love the sentence 'Who Are You Not To Be'...where do we get the inner voice that tells us not to shine...is it part of the Australian, tall poppy syndrome...I think not when I read womens blogs from other countries...it is empowering to be comfortable, not only comfortable but to celebrate that I am brilliant...(and its contagious..lol)

Such a beautiful quote...thanks darlin....x

frog ponds rock... said...

Thanks for sharing that..
cheers kim

Tex's Missus said...

As one of those women who've inspired me Kim, it was my pleasure.