CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Do Fish Dream ?

Sunday, December 30, 2007

I Love My Motorbike



She's a 2005 VTR750 Honda Shadow and just the second road bike I've owned since I've been a grown-up. I learned to ride on a Yamaha 100 ag bike around the farm i grew up on, but have only had my road licence for the past few years. I love going for rides in the mountains with Tex (he has a much bigger, faster Yamaha FJR1300), but confess to being a fair weather rider (ie. no riding in rain or on -0degC or 40degC+ days), which I agree makes me a bit soft ! And when I say riding with Tex, what I mean is that whilst we drive out of the garage together, he speeds off and periodically waits for me on the side of the road until I catch up ! Hey, I don't mind, I always ride my own ride. I usually stick to the speed limit, and whilst I always wear fully-armoured leather jacket and kevlar-lined draggin jeans, I'm not about to take any risks; whilst I love riding, I am acutely aware of the risks of not being seen by car drivers.

I am starting a new job in a couple of weeks which is a comfortable half hour commute down the mountain, so am really looking forward to riding to and from work - and with the price of fuel these days being so outrageous (no really, thanks Mr Bush and your fucking war), the ecomony of the bike is an added bonus.

11 comments:

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Oh its beautiful...how can you stay home when you can ride that and be free...am so envious...

reminds me of my sports car i bought..just for me...My mothers first words were...'You always were a show off'..lol...but I loved that car and would drive alone on moonlight nights with the sunroof down..just cause I could .. it was my little bit of freedom....now traded in for sensible 4wd (that my mother cant climb into)...laugh...I crack myself up...

But I so love your bike...and your right about fuel costs...thanks for sharing your baby....x

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's not bad that one. I take it for sneaky little rides when she's at work. It's really loud too, and i rev it more than her, so everyone looks at me. Haha.

Tex's Missus said...

Don't worry, I take note of the speedo readings Tex - so you will get busted if you try anything sneaky - I'm onto you !!

Anonymous said...

nah, I disconnect it, and top up the fuel tank so it's same as when I took it. It does really good burn outs, but I hate having to scrub all the rubber off the rear guard.

Unknown said...

I am so insanely jealous I don't think I can leave a sensible comment :-)

SouthLoopScot said...

Nice ride!
Me and my missus, want to bet bikes when we grow up too!

Tex's Missus said...

Abbey, MG - you girls are cordially invited to have a ride if you are ever in the Blue Mountains; I've even got some spare leathers for you. I also recently got rid of my MG sports car Abbey and now have the obligatory 4WD - much more 'sensible' but far less fun. But at least the bike covers the fun vacuum it left behind !

T&A - that's the whole point - who knows whether any of us will ever grow up ?! So, don't wait - get the damn bikes (or at least hire a couple occasionally and get out there ...)

Tex's Missus said...

Abbey, MG - you girls are cordially invited to have a ride if you are ever in the Blue Mountains; I've even got some spare leathers for you. I also recently got rid of my MG sports car Abbey and now have the obligatory 4WD - much more 'sensible' but far less fun. But at least the bike covers the fun vacuum it left behind !

T&A - that's the whole point - who knows whether any of us will ever grow up ?! So, don't wait - get the damn bikes (or at least hire a couple occasionally and get out there ...)

Bettie K. said...

That bike is beautiful...you must feel like a million bucks after you ride it!

Joe said...

My wife is only 5'3" tall and the scooter she rides is something she's comfortable with. I'm glad to see you ride within yourself, this will help keep you alive. And, all the gear all the time certainly doesn't hurt either. As you've seen on my blog, not much beats riding. Its my religion.

gemmak said...

been there...trying to keep up with an FJR!!! heh ;o) Just not gonna happen past the garage is it! lol.

Um....I think I'm on your blog and you're on mine right now! ;o)