CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Do Fish Dream ?

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Taking Responsibility - Part 1

I have a new member of staff - let's call him Mr Bloggs - who is apparently incapable of telling the truth. Ever since he arrived at my place of work a month ago, he has proved himself to be a habitual liar. I have lost count of the times I have caught him out in a lie. The way these untruths seem to effortlessly roll off his tongue would indicate that this is a very familiar pattern of behaviour. Whilst I will forgive most misdemeanour's, the one thing I find intolerable is a lack of integrity. I accept that people make mistakes - we are human and it is human to make mistakes. I certainly make my fair share. But what I can't and don't accept is that when these mistakes are made, some people refuse to accept responsibility and instead, look for someone or something else to blame.

I know it is a generalisation, and there are many honest people out there but it seems to me that they are getting few and far between. So my question to people like Mr Bloggs is this: "When do you start taking responsibility for your own actions?" It appears that these folks no longer own their actions. Owning your actions involves taking personal responsibility for what you do. Why is it that when something goes wrong, they need some place (or person) to lay the blame? Part of being a mature, responsible adult is to know that when you make a decision in life, you are responsible for the outcome, not someone else.

So Mr Bloggs, for fuck's sake, let go of the blaming mentality and stop being a freaking victim. Step up, accept the consequences of the choices you make, take responsibility, hold yourself accountable and perhaps then you will grow up.

Grrrrrrrr........

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It wasn't my fault, there was a fire, a flood, a hurricane, my alarm didn't go off, I was kidnapped by friendly drunks, my car got a flat battery, it just happened, I was led astray by bad people, I was drunk, I was stoned, it was there so I took it, I have a headache, it's not fair, why does this always happen to me?, you're picking on me.

ahaoaoahoahahahohohua

tina FCD said...

My sister is like that, it's everyone against her...Blah blah blah...

Sean Wright said...

I wonder if this is to do with how they were treated when they have made mistakes in the past, in early childhood.

Tex's Missus said...

Tina, my sister is a lot like yours - poor little old me, why does it always happen to me, I'm the baby of the family (she'll be 40 this month!), someone please bail me out.

Sean - yep, I'm sure there is much truth to your suggestion. We are all shaped by our childhood experiences. But, I think we can all learn that despite how we were brought up, as adults, we can change the way we react to situations and that we are the only ones who can control the way we behave. A bit simplistic I know - it's hard to actually make those changes.

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

I work with high intensity needs teens and I tell them the only thing they need to learn, that I have to teach them, and the first step of becoming an adult...is be honest, and take resposibility for your own shit! ... thats it

Sometimes dealing with their stuff for the 1st time, what ever they have done, is ground breaking...

I also have colleagues that still cant get this simple thing..