CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Do Fish Dream ?

Sunday, March 9, 2008

A Job By Any Other Name


"I have been of the opinion that if work were such a splendid thing, the rich would have kept more of it for themselves"

Bruce Grocott (1940- ), The London Observer, 1988

It was a rude awakening indeed to discover that the primary source of my parent's misery (work) was the same life goal they wanted for me !! Could all the learning and angst and preparation of childhood be for this ? A job ? (Why yes, my child, it is. And you'd better just start thinking about what you're going to be when you grow up. After all, it's pre-school next year and you don't want to be the only child there without a vocational calling.) But, onto that treadmill I hopped some 27 years ago, and like a hamster on a wheel, it's been a continuous cycle ever since.....

So, assuming the sun comes up tomorrow, it's off to work I go....for a week of 14 hour days at an interstate location - and all without access to computers from which to Blog. So, I wish all my Blog Mates a week filled with (virtual) sunshine and happy times. I will look forward to checking in next weekend :)

11 comments:

Sean Wright said...

You going on a work retreat? Have fun :)

Indigo-Daisy said...

Make the best of it =)

tina FCD said...

Man! Are we going to miss you or what!

Anonymous said...

yes, after we get food we need to work so we can get more stuff

Anonymous said...

Oh how will we ever survive without you?!

Take care of yourself.

gemmak said...

Jeez!!! 14 hour days!!! WTF!!! :o/

Unknown said...

Look forward to your return Missus!

The notion of work and career is an interesting one. I was always career focussed up until John passed. I had given up my job to care for him and once he was gone I suddenly started to think about what life was really about.

I have had to give up dreams of owning my own house, and having large savings but I have moved across the continent, paint, blog, play and laugh and sing more than I ever did. My job isn't a big career move but suits me very nicely - if nothing else I work 3 1/2 days a week.

I now *live* rather than just exist - and while I did find fulfillment from my previous life, it is just this is a much better version :-)

I also admit to the advantage of not having to consider the needs of a partner or children so that does make things easier to live in my own weird way.

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

You home and unpacking yet beautiful lady..Lighting the scented candles, putting on the tunes and relaxing?

Anonymous said...

*sniggers* welcome to my world...

frog ponds rock... said...

I have an award for you...

cheers Kim xxx

Casdok said...

HAve a great time!!