CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Do Fish Dream ?

Friday, March 7, 2008

Don't Worry, What's Happy ?


My friend Sarah over on A Whole Lotta Nothin' recently wrote a damn fine post on Happiness and it got me thinking. There is so much emphasis on the quest to "be happy". But keep pushing people to better themselves and you'll only serve to remind them how crap they are. Push the bar higher, we'll only feel lower to the ground. So, what's so wrong with us anyway ? Is everyone else really so much happier and more successful than we are ? Are we truly just one of the unlucky ones ? Or does it simply look that way from the perennially slow check out lane ?

What do we even know about happy and successful ? Is that pleasurable moment boys when you knock the top off your sixth beer during Friday Night Footy really happiness ? Or does it just smell like it is ? Is success something that can be measured by money or status ? Then where does that leave Fred Hollows ? Anyone who's helped save humanity without sending them an invoice ?

The point is, if we knew what happy and successful really were, we wouldn’t be constantly chasing them, dodging them, meditating on them, studying them, worskshopping them and generally suspecting that everyone bar us has them. We'd have pinned them down, toasted the spoils and organised a testimonial dinner by now. Game over.

But of course, the real appeal of happy and successful is their sheer elusiveness. They're always but one more holiday, two Lotto wins, and three self-help books away. All we do know about happy and successful is that we're supposed to be chasing them. For that is what we've always been told - by our parents, our teachers, our mentors, magazines and movies - since Day One. Try harder kids ! Study longer, reach further, jump higher ! Come one, happy and successful can't be too far away now. You won't get them standing around pulling your sisters hair, you great dork.

We think we are missing out on something. But, missing out on what ? When was the last time someone who wasn't on smack came up to you with an idiotic grin on their face and said, "I'm blissfully happy and wildly successful ! I've got everything I ever wanted and more ?" Or even, "You know, I'm frequently satisfied with various aspects of life and I'm not presently in jail. Could it be that I'm happy and successful?".

I’m guessing, not recently. In reality, none of us knows what happy and successful really are or precisely where our hopes and our realisations might have already intersected. All we do know is what we've been led to believe so far, which is that giving us this existentialist struggle for ideals that are by definition always out of reach, equates to settling. This simply sets us up for a prolonged series of disappointments that we come to think of as 'life' - you know, it wasn't meant to be easy !!

What if an alternative perspective enabled you to keep a better focus on the things that matter, the things that don't, and the things that probably do, but are really too much bloody hassle ? What if there was a fourth window on "Play School" that made the ordinary among us look brave and strong and the high-flying supermen and superwomen look reckless and just plain silly ?

Here's a final thought punters.... what if okay was really okay ?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

goddamn it woman, i'm ready to offer to have your children for you, i am so in love with what goes on your head ...grins... another thought provoking post (which of course I read late at night, so it keeps churning over in my mind and I can't sleep...giggles)...

...how'd that song go, you don't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you might just fin, you get what you need... I think happiness is a lot like that. I'm a huge fan of the fake it til ya make it gameplan some days. Personally happy for me is about being content, about having enough and knowing i belong to something bigger than the sum of my thoughts. success...whoah, your fred hollows statement is ringing in my ears there...i think in general society has some skewiff ideas about success, i need to ponder that more...but okay is definately okay most of the time, except when its not..hhmmm...great post as always TM xo

Bettie K. said...

"What if okay was really okay?" Awesome. You need to trademark that and put it into your own self-help book.

Well written, well said---

tina FCD said...

I agree, great comment about Okay. I'm content with my life and it's really okay.

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

I so did laugh at this post (yes I am happy)... this week in the middle of the humdrum that is my life...I thought to myself as I sat on the back step in the sun...Damn Im happy...and the feeling stayed for a few days...no lotto win...just happy to be alive and enjoying who I am...

pita-woman said...

Is okay really okay? Hell, I strive for "okay"! Anything beyond that is just a bonus!!

AMLite said...

Hey TM, at long last I actually posted another blog, I am sure you are in awe.

Seriously, I just put "Happy" on Reboot today, hope you enjoy it.

If it is any consolation, it makes me happy to read your blog and your comments on mine!

=) A-train

VAMP said...

I strive for "contentment". Someone recently told me, well, that's not living then. For me it's more a state of mind....it *IS* just being happy with "okay"...I can deal with that.

Happiness comes in moments ONLY. It's very fleeting. Having "okay" on a daily basis is WAY better than the alternative.

Joe said...

Maybe I'm a simpleton, but I'm reasonably happy. OK, I'm happily married, I like my job, I spend time doing things that bring me joy, the grandbaby loves me. What's not to be happy about. I guess I'm like a puppy, a few scratches on the head and a treat and I'm good to go.