CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Do Fish Dream ?

Saturday, November 17, 2007

I just don't get other parents

Today is my son's birthday party; he turned 15 this week and he invited 10 other kids to a sleep over party at our home. Six girls and 4 boys. Now, only one of the parents had met me and none of them had met Tex. So, I (naively) thought that since their little darlings would be sleeping over at a stranger's home, they would come in and meet Tex 'n me, check out our home and get the feel of the place. Well, not only did they not come in, the first I knew of most arrivals was a ring at the door bell by a kid, I would look out, enquire as to the whereabouts of mum or dad, only to be told, "Oh, they've gone home".

Now, I don't know about you other parents, but if my son was invited to someones home for a sleep over, I'd be wanting to check out the other kids parents. Although I don't have a 15 year old daughter, I would imagine that her parents would be even more keen. Okay, so Tex is a fabulous bloke, but fuck me - they don't know that; for all they know, he could massacre 15 year old kids with a chainsaw in the basement (or worse...), but not one of the little darlings mums or dads decided to pop in and check us out.

I'd like to think that they are just trusting people, who know our son and who believe that, on the basis of his nature and personality, we would be good people. But, personally, I think its just negligence on their part. Maybe I'm over reacting (yes, I have been accused of being a 'smother-mother' more than once), but I don't think you can be too careful.

What do you think ?? Am I over reacting, or do you find it surprising that none of the parents wanted to (1) check out my husband and I; (2) ask/check about sleeping arrangements for their daughters; (3) leave emergency contact phone numbers; ir (4) arrange pick up times.

Seriously, I just don't get other parents....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, I'll take 'em down into my dungeon, ha, ho, hee, hee, hoo, hoo.


That way there'll be more food for me. Yum yum, nachos, pizza, buffalo wings, chili breast tenders (i like breast), and best of all pavlova (ok, I feel another definition coming on, this is an Aussie dish, I'll just zip over to urban dictionary):

pavlova
17 thumbs up


n.Meringue dessert. Named after ballet dancer Anna Pavlova. It is crispy on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside. Can be decorated with anything from kiwifruit to MnMs.

Both New Zealanders and Australians claim the pavlova recipe as their own, but the earliest known pavlova recipe was indeed found in New Zealand.

I baked a pavlova a few weeks ago

(pavlova is made by beating egg whites with sugar and putting it on a baking tray with removable sides (to hold it in shape), and after cooking and cooling, it is covered with whipped cream, and then decorated with whatever you like - strawberries, or kiwi fruit, or grated chocolate, or passionfruit pulp)

frog ponds rock... said...

MMmmmm ..ooops I got sidetracked by the thought of pavlova yum...

Wow extreme bravery on your part 10 kids for a sleepover..

I am astonished actually.. I liked to briefly meet the parents before my children ever stayed the night at a sleepover.and organise pick up times etc etc.

My girlfriend had a very similar situation with her daughters 13th birthday sleepover.. She was totally stunned by the lack of parental contact. One parent even failed to collect her daughter the next day. expecting that my friend would drive her home.

Weird Very Very weird...

cheers kim